The 3LP project is not currently a focus of Nuvein, but through years of focus many positive outcomes were met by pursuing these goals.
Nuvein Foundation for Literature and the Arts Literature, Literacy, and Letters Project (3LP)
“The poor and the affluent are not communicating because they do not have the same words. When we talk of the millions who are culturally deprived, we refer not to those who do not have access to good libraries and bookstores, or to museums and centers for the performing arts, but those deprived of the words with which everything else is built, the words that open doors. Children without words are licked before they start. The legion of the young wordless in urban and rural slums, eight to ten years old, do not know the meaning of hundreds of words which most middle-class people assume to be familiar to much younger children. Most of them have never seen their parents read a book or a magazine, or heard words used in other than rudimentary ways related to physical needs and functions. Thus is cultural fallout caused, the vicious circle of ignorance and poverty reinforced and perpetuated. Children deprived of words become school dropouts; dropouts deprived of hope behave delinquently. Amateur censors blame delinquency on reading immoral books and magazines, when in fact, the inability to read anything is the basic trouble.” — Peter S. Jennison
To help foster a genuine rebirth of reading, writing, and artistic expression through the creation of support networks to help children, youth, and adult alike in learning how to read, how to access books through the public library system while partnering with literacy groups and local schools; working with them on how to express themselves through various writing forms (poetry, prose, press, and playwriting, etc.) through hosting writer workshops for each genre while partnering with local educators and schools, press and media publications and writers, freelance writers and press, and local writers published, online, or aspiring in promotion of their respective art forms. Nuvein is a flagship and beacon of opportunity for the development and fostering of widespread literacy, nurturing and supporting through print or by exposing/featuring undiscovered writers and talent through its own publishing efforts, and collaboration with established media resources
Address each area by establishing a task force to work towards attainable working goals.
- Partnership with local libraries, local schools, literacy groups, educators, non-profits, as well as philanthropic corporate businesses essential to develop a network for support for school age children and young adults, as well as adults and seniors, to continue and foster the habit of reading (poetry, prose, plays, press) in the local community, SGV, and beyond.
- Hosting a SGV Children’s Book Fair (Cohesion of SGV Libraries, Schools, Publishers & Distributors)
- Nuvein co-sponsored SGV Public Library Events (Featured Writer’s night, etc.)
- Partnership with San Gabriel Valley existing Book Festivals (Jewish Federation of the Greater SGV, Independent Book Festival – Covina)
- Relaunch of SGV Arts and Literature Festival (new format)
- By partnering with local libraries, local schools, literacy groups, educators, non-profits, as well as philanthropic corporate businesses the essential task of helping reduce illiteracy can be attained by providing supports for children, adult, and seniors alike in developing and nurturing the habit of reading books, important correspondence, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Nuvein co-sponsored SGV Public Library Events (How to access a library – TOUR, Reading with Mom and Dad, Read along(s), etc.)
- Partnership with Literacy agencies, like minded private business and Schools
- Nuvein – SGV schools needy children/students Book drives
- Nuvein- Letter and Mail Clinic (partnership with a paralegal firm(s) to help illiterate, seniors, and underprivileged to understand their mails such as summons, creditor(s), bank, bills, etc.)
- By seeking out the many undiscovered writers, poets, playwrights, journalists, and other print media artists, and by providing them an environment of support, along with collaboration with local Community Colleges, public/private schools or colleges, the private sector and other non-profits, Nuvein becoming a flagship for the development of writing in all formats.
- Nuvein collaboration with Colleges/Universities for Journalism Workshops and Courses (DBD, Mt. SAC, Rio Hondo, University of the West, Whittier College, Everest College, Azusa Pacific, Pasadena CC, etc.)
- Nuvein scholarships for aspiring writers of all media (partnership with local Community/Private Colleges/Universities and non-profits)
- Relaunch Nuvein Magazine online and create journalism subgroup (online publishing book reviews, editorial/op-ed pieces, etc.)
- Nuvein collaboration with playhouses and writers of theatre in securing publication and press creation of Nuvein Drama and Playhouse (eventually)
Partnership with the Nuvein Editorial Board to oversee Nuvein Publications
Creation of Nuvein Poetry Group and Writer’s Group